not all those who wander are lost


Shrine of the Little Flower was an infamous center of hate and bigotry during the 1930’s against Jews, African Americans, and a host of other victims. In a brilliant display of irony, the design of the Charity Crucifixion Tower was in response to the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan burning crosses and committing acts of violence against Catholics.

From Wikipedia:

National Shrine of the Little Flower Basilica Catholic Church in Royal Oak, Michigan is a well known Roman Catholic church and National Shrine executed in the lavish zig-zag Art Deco style. The structure was completed in two stages between 1931 and 1936. The sanctuary stands at 2100 West Twelve Mile Road at the northeast corner of Woodward Avenue and is a parish of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. Construction was funded by the proceeds of the radio ministry of the controversial Father Charles Coughlin who broadcast from the tower during the 1930s.

So the church was constructed with money from a radio show which was so vile and anti-Semitic that President Franklin Delano Roosevelt had to intervene to shut it down.


More from Wikipedia about the architecture and the tower:

A dramatic limestone Art Deco tower called the Charity Crucifixion Tower, completed in 1931, features integrated figurative sculptures by Rene Paul Chambellan, including a large figure of Christ on the cross, 28 ft (8.5 m) high on the Woodward Avenue façade. It was built as a response to the Ku Klux Klan as a “cross they could not burn”. The sides and rear feature windows inside the crucifix which can be lit from within. At the upper corners of the tower are symbols of the Four Evangelists. Carved below the feet of the figure of Christ are the Seven Last Words. Just below them is a doorway with “Charity” and “Christ Crucified” carved above it. On the sides of the door frame are depictions of items associated with the Passion. The doorway leads to a small balcony which can serve as a pulpit. On the front are carved depictions the Archangels Jophiel, Raphael, Michael, Gabriel and Uriel. The pulpit is flanked by depictions of John the Apostle and the Virgin Mary to the left and a Roman Centurion holding a spear and Mary Magdalene on the right. Across the terrace facing the crucifix a depiction of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux is carved into the surrounding wall. This sculpture is also by Chambellan.







Shrine is named after St. Thérèse of Lisieux.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.