” Victory and Progress ” by New York sculptor J. Massey Rhind.
Seen at ground level today as the restored statues are finding their way back up the the top of the Wayne County Building.
These are classical “quadrigas”, which are normally a chariot with four horses. Rhind designed these with three horses each chariot.
When fully assembled, each side will be exactly the same – except the chariot riders are mirror image. CLICK HERE to see the sculptures in place on the building in the early 1900’s.
The horse whips are not in place yet.
You can see the sections of whip being put together here.
Both chariots have a panel tore open like this. It looks like a scrapper took a bite out of it, but it must have something to do with accessing the interior. Both chariots have what looks like a sealed access panel next to the tear – perhaps the original way inside.
The quadrigas go on each side of the tower section.
These are the other two horses.
Sitting at street level, they kind of look like a crazy Beaux Arts parade.
Apparently, the sculptures arrived on the day that the Wayne County Building becomes officially vacant. The county purchased the Guardian Building, and moved operations to the new location.
For the time being, these amazing sculptures will be mounted on an abandoned building.