The Crystal Ballroom, 3100 Woodward at Watson. 1919 ballroom with stores on the ground floor, as was the trend for area ballrooms. Originally constructed by Hugh Chalmers. Currently owned by Belmar Development.
The 1930’s Deco facade is yellow sandstone.
The ground floor was mixed use retail and some small offices.
There was a small grocery store in the lower corner of the building.
All this was scraped out and abated a couple years ago.
In a couple areas, the original ballroom doorways are still intact
The original pre-1930’2 portion of the ballroom is toward the back
The front portion of the ballroom, and the Woodward facade of the structure were added in the 1930’s when Woodward was widened. A new Art Deco facade was added at that time.
This building and the neighboring building, the Art School of the Society of Arts and Crafts (razed) were at one time owned by some type of taxicab company.
The Crystal Ballroom is being carefully restored for future loft/condo development.