University of Michigan
Albert Kahn’s Burton Memorial Tower, which contains the Charles Baird Carillon
Here is a photo of the hoisting of the “bourdon bell” – the heaviest of the entire collection.
212 feet tall 41 feet x 7 inches square 19,848 square feet of floor space Designed by Albert Kahn Final cost = $243,664.61 Recent renovation = $1.8 million Construction: reinforced concrete shell faced with limestone (1935–1936) Dedicated Dec. 4, 1936 Named for U-M President Marion Leroy Burton (Presidency 1920–1925) Mounted atop the Burton Memorial Tower Tied for fourth heaviest carillon in the world 55 bells cast in 1936 and 1975 (total weight 43 tons) Largest bell: 12 tons; it strikes the hour Smallest bell: 16.5 pounds Bells hang 120 feet above campus Bells are stationary—only the clappers move via mechanical linkage Bells cast in Loughborough, England, by John Taylor and Co. Bellfoundry Carillon donated by Charles M. Baird, U-M graduate, lawyer and U-M’s first athletic director
This structure is not just a clock tower, it is also a musical instrument. It is also a fully functioning skyscraper with classrooms for the music department inside.