not all those who wander are lost

detroit

8145 Puritan Ave, Detroit, MI 48221

Closed by the State of Michigan Emergency Financial Manager in 2010, under Detroit Public Schools this was Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary-Middle School. The original school was built in 1922 and was part of District Number 2 of Greenfield Township and was named Guest Elementary. Just a few years later, all of Greenfield Township would be incorporated into the City of Detroit.

It is easy to look at this with towering hindsight and to ask if maybe we would all be doing a lot better if these other regions had never been absorbed by Detroit. This also begs the question as to whether or not it might be better these days to trim the borders of Detroit back to it’s earlier, more manageable size.

Greenfield Township was bordered on the north by M 102/Baseline Road/8 Mile Road, on the west by Greenfield Road, on the south by Tireman Avenue, and the eastern border ran along the edges of Highland Park and Hamtramck.

CONTRIBUTIONS APPRECIATED