There has been much fuss about a recent “experiment” in clearing areas of the City via demolition. An 8 city block section on the eastside between St. Aubin and Chene streets was cleared of abandoned buildings and overgrown vegetation.
These church buildings were the most obvious thing in this section of city that had to go. But what was on the other blocks ?
Here is how it all looks now – flat. But not empty ?
Looks like the handfull of houses that remain are inhabited. So they did not relocate anybody.
This crazy abandoned place still sits on the St. Aubin end of this area – apparently somebody owns this but does not maintain it or keep it free from graffiti. [correction: this house is now owned by somebody who intends on bringing up to code and maintaining it - but he has apparently only owned it since last fall. it was previous owners who let it descend into its current condition]
But now, with everything around it flattened, who wouldnt want to live here ?
Looks like some of the residents of this area did get dislodged, this pack was looking very desperate for food and shelter.
Here is the area in question on Google before the demolitions. Um…. Doesnt look like there was much there aside from the church, and it also looks like they actually left almost all the standing structures in the area in tact.
So, they demolished the church property and cut the grass. This was a hype.
The infrastructure tells us that this little hood dates back at least until 1925 in its current configuration.